Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My Summer Blog Series - "The HOT Mini-Vacation to New Braunfels, TX"

"SUMMERTIME SERIES"

As of today, I am beginning a new "summer" series on my blog where I will post about a day in the life
of my family as we endure the next few months of summer. I figure since I haven't had much time lately for social media, I might as well blog about our summertime adventures and have you along for the ride. Just a side note; there hasn't been much happening lately with my books. They are still quietly sitting on Amazon's digital bookshelf. The books are still not fully illustrated and I have been at a crossroads lately as to which direction to take them in (well, as far as the illustrations are concerned-- that's an entirely different post for later). So for now, I have focused my attention on keeping my kids entertained during this very HOT summer (I'm in Texas heat, although the weather has been milder compared to previous years).

The HOT Mini-Vacation to New Braunfels, TX

To jump start the summer, my husband and I (along with my parents and nieces) took our kids on a mini-vacay to New Braunfels, TX during Memorial Day weekend. This was more of a pre-summer vacation as my kids were still in school until the following week (for some reason, I went around telling everyone my kids were out of school the Friday before Memorial Day weekend. I think I even convinced my kids that they were out of school too. My mind must have really needed a break as I was utterly confused about when their summer break began). Although we really enjoyed ourselves in New Braunfels -- a very charming town, well known for patrons tubing down the Guadalupe River -- we experienced a bit of car trouble on the trip heading down there. My car's AC compressor blew out, so you guessed it...NO air conditioning in our vehicle in the hot Texas heat! Ugh!! We had no choice but to rent a vehicle once we got into New Braunfels. Thanks be to God that He lead us to find Hertz Rent-a-Car, as Hertz was the only rent-a-car place we could find in the area that was open during Memorial Day weekend -- and they had a car available! Yay!! Although they gave us a 4-passenger rental (and we have 5 people in our family), we were able to manage with sticking one of our kids in my parents' vehicle throughout the weekend.

Not withstanding the HOT start (and end -- as we had to drive my car all the way home) to our mini-vacay, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in New Braunfels. During our trip we visited Schlitterbahn Waterpark, explored the Natural Bridge Caverns, went zip-lining and 'gold' mining,  and ate and walked around the historic downtown district. Here are some pics of our trip...

My oldest daughter (left) and niece enjoying the [river] water.
Schlitterbahn Waterpark, New Braunfels, TX
  
My mom with my youngest daughter.
Schlitterbahn Waterpark, New Braunfels, TX
My husband enjoying the "swim-up" bar.
Schlitterbahn Waterpark, New Braunfels, TX
Heading into the Cavern.
Natural Bridge Caverns, New Braunfels, TX
My son and daughter inside the Cavern.
Natural Bridge Caverns, New Braunfels, TX
Inside the Cavern. We were 180ft below the surface.
Natural Bridge Caverns, New Braunfels, TX

Suited-up for zip-lining.
New Braunfels, TX
The zip-line tower. We had to jump off from the very top!
New Braunfels, TX
My daughter (forefront) and niece zip-lining.
New Braunfels, TX

The kids 'mining' for buried treasure.
New Braunfels, TX
"Found some!"
New Braunfels, TX
Historic District.
New Braunfels, TX
Despite the lack of AC in the car driving back home, we made it safe and sound! I thank God for our little 'much needed' mini-vacay and keeping us safe. I also thank God that it was only the AC that went out in my car. And $2300 later, I have AC again...

God Bless!
T Denise Clary

What a blessing was that stillness as He brought them safely into harbor! - Psalm 107:30





0 comments: